Tuesday, May 20, 2008

MK Update 5/6/2008

Hello all! It has been a week and a day since my third chemo treatment. I am at the halfway point--just three more to go! I have done much better with this treatment thus far. The doctor was able to give me a new medication for nausea and it worked very well. I have felt pretty good this time around. I went yesterday to get my blood levels checked. That was certainly an interesting experience. I have been going every Monday and Thursday since I started chemo to get my levels checked. I go to my PCP's office to have this done. They do not know how to access my port, so they have to draw the blood from my hand. The nurse has found one vein that works well, so every Monday and Thursday morning I get up, get ready, and wrap a heating pad around my hand for 30 minutes. I then put a thick sock on my hand and head to Dr. Walton's office where Marilyn quickly accesses this little vein on the back of my hand while the vein is still warm and ready for the task. Well, I did all of that yesterday and I guess that little vein has had enough. The nurse couldn't get any blood and she was literally digging that needle around the back of my hand to try and get some blood. Like a ding-dong I decided to watch. The next thing I know, I am laying in the floor with my legs up in a chair and cold wash clothes all over my face and arms and my mom was trying to get my attention. I fainted! I have never fainted before--what a rush! HA! I mean that was certainly a strange experience. I have learned my lesson--I will not be watching Marilyn draw my blood anymore! She did manage to get some blood out of the little vein, bless his heart. Turns out that my blood levels are really low and I can't be in public or around people. What fun! What stinks is that I feel pretty good and I can't go anywhere or be around anyone. So, I have been working from home and hanging out with Mom, Chris, and the dogs. I think poor Mom and Chris are really getting tired of trying to keep me entertained! I have done a lot of gardening! Again, poor Mom and Chris--I have about worked them into the ground with the gardening. I just want to thank each of you for your prayer support! It has certainly made this round of chemo much, much better. You are all amazing and I continue to cherish the calls, text messages, e-mails, cards, flowers, food, and gifts. They all come at the perfect time and mean so very much to me. The other day I was having a very "low" moment and one of you sent me a text message. Chris said, "there is one of your angels picking you up again"--and that is so true. Thank you for taking the time to listen to God directing you my way! August will be here soon and this chemo will be a distant memory! Much love to you all! MK

No comments: