Tuesday, May 20, 2008

MK Update 1/23/2008

Okay, I have tried to set up a distribution list so that I can e-mail each of you to keep you updated on what is going on with me. But, it is apparently not working. I have worked on it this morning and hopefully it will work now. I have copied the two e-mails I previously sent to this e-mail so you can see how things have gone thus far. Now for the update…
Everything was going just great until last Tuesday night. I woke up feeling not so great and in some pain. I went to work Wednesday morning, but just continued to feel bad so I came home early. Things just got worse throughout the day. I ended up in Baptist hospital and was there until Monday. The incision from my original surgery was infected. I had surgery Friday afternoon to re-open the incision and remove the infection. Man, I sure felt better when I woke up from the surgery! It was not staph, but was the bacteria that causes gangrene—isn’t that pretty! J I am home now. I have a home health nurse coming each morning to clean and pack the wound. Dr. Hagens is still planning on doing the double mastectomy next Wednesday (the 30th), however, the reconstruction will not be done at that time. Instead, I am going to complete all of my treatments first. We still don’t know what that will be, we have to see if I have any cancer in any of the lymph nodes they remove during surgery on the 30th. After I finish all of the treatments, I will have to wait one month and then I can start the reconstruction process. I feel really good about all of this. I think this current infection was God’s way of leading me in the right direction. I had been very concerned about doing the reconstruction and chemotherapy at the same time. Dr. Bauer, the plastic surgeon, had told me that I would have an increased risk for infection from the chemotherapy with the expanders they would put in my chest to stretch my skin in preparation for the saline implants. Now, I won’t have to worry about that. I will finish all of my treatments and make sure my body is well and I am healthy and then they will start the reconstruction by inserting the expanders. So, even though this open wound is disgusting at least now I am at peace with my plan for reconstruction. Isn’t is funny how God leads us down various paths to get us to the proper destination?!?! I know your prayers are working. For example, when I got to the hospital in Little Rock I was not sure what doctor I would see because Dr. Hagens was on vacation in Florida. I was a little worried, but it turned out that the doctor was the son-in-law of Chris’s former principal. I know God’s hand was in on that! He was an awesome doctor and took great care of me. Of all of the surgeons in Little Rock, I ended up with someone that had a personal connection with me. That is not just luck—that is your prayer support hard at work! I feel great now, I am just ready for the surgery next week! Please continue to pray for me and my family! Again, you may share my e-mails with others. I don’t mind at all. I love each of you and so appreciate your care and your support! MK

No comments: