Friday, June 28, 2013

MK Update 6/28/2013

Good morning, Army!! Sorry I didn't get this update out yesterday, but I had some type of allergic reaction in my right arm during my procedure yesterday; so, they pushed a ton of Benadryl through my IV and I literally slept all day and night. But this morning I am wide awake and feeling GREAT!! Thanks so much to each of you for the prayers! We received the most amazing news yesterday! Dr. Kamat found NO other cancer cells in my bladder and said that the initial tumor was basically like a wart that had been removed and there was NOTHING remaining...as a result I do NOT have to do the BCG treatments!! I just have to see him every three months to check for recurrence...and if another tumor appears he will just go in and remove that as well. What a change from four weeks ago!! I sat in his office four weeks ago and listened to him tell me that from the report he had from my initial surgery where the tumor was removed it didn't look very good. He said that bladder tumors ranged from something similar to a wart that is easy to treat and not likely to return all the way up to a tumor that has pushed through the lining of the bladder and into the muscle or outside of the bladder. He guessed that mine was somewhere in the middle of all of that but said that it could be worse in which case I would be looking at 14 months or less to live. So, the last four weeks, I have been prayerful and hopeful that the tumor would be contained to the wall and at worst would have minimal invasion of the muscle and I was preparing myself for the three year regimen of BCG treatments he said I would start six weeks after surgery. When I woke up from surgery, Brucie told me what Dr. Kamat found and I literally did not believe what he was telling me. I asked him over and over, "are you lying to me?". I usually ask, "what time is it" over and over after a surgery, but yesterday that was replaced with "are you lying to me"...and I asked him that at least 25 times. Contained to the bladder...NO BCG treatments...just a wart-like tumor...this is all a direct result of each of you and your constant prayers for me, for my family, for my Brucie, and for the doctors and nurses here at MD Anderson!! After my experience at the waterfall Wednesday night, a had a peace in my heart and in my soul like I just cannot describe in words. I slept so well Wednesday night and was not anxious at all...not one little ounce...before surgery yesterday. I didn't know what I was going to hear when I woke up, but I was okay knowing that I was in God's hands...and was surrounded by each of you...and I was at peace...and that darkness was gone!! WE beat down that darkness BEFORE my surgery!! Today I awake looking forward to closing out this chapter and starting a new chapter working diligently to carry out His plan for me. We will remain diligent and watchful, so if a tumor does return we can stomp it out quickly. I will continue to update you as I have appointments and follow-ups. I just can't thank each of you enough for all you have done for me and for my family, especially my Brucie, during all of this!! I am blessed beyond measure to have such an amazing Army of Angels, both earthly and heavenly, that have literally raised up my arms during battle when I was too weary to do it on my own. Today WE celebrate this victory and WE give all Glory to our Heavenly Father for his grace and his healing touch! I love you and thank you for all you have done (and will continue to do) for me!! God bless each of you!! Love you much!!! Big hugs, big tears, lots of smiles!!! MK Hebrews 11:1 Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you cannot see. AMEN!!!

7 comments:

Andrea Chaffin said...

YAAAAY... I'm crying tears of joy for you and your family!!! God is soooo good! I can't wait to share this news with my mom and with my church family!!! God bless you Mary Katherine!!!
Andrea Chaffin

Tammy Gillmore said...

Praise the dear Lord! Another testimony! Keep spreading the Good News!

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord!! God is so good! What a testimony He has given you. I stand in amazement at His wondrous, merciful grace. Such a blessing to anyone who has the privilege to hear your story. I am truly blessed today to be able to start my day with news like this. May God continue to keep His hand on you and your family. I am waiting anxiously to hear what other wonderful things the Lord has in store for y'all!! Awesome way to start out the weekend! Enjoy that family and celebrate to the fullest!!!!

ShelbyW said...

:) God is amazing! I am so happy! Thanks for keeping all us updated! We love you so much! I started tearing up reading this! :)

Judy M said...

Words cannot express the joy... so, so happy for you and your family! Thank you Lord!!!

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

Mary Katherine though we have never met I have prayed for you many times over the past years. I rejoice with you over the answered prayers and am so thankful for your great testimony. We do share a common bond as I too am a breast cancer survivor, 10 years for me now. But our greatest bond is to be sisters in Christ. My daughter Megan works for you at Miracle Kids and as a teacher I am always pleased to know Mrs. Kay will be presenting at Path Wise training. She is always an inspiration. May God continue to bless the lives of you and your family.
May favorite go to verse, Lamentations 3:22-23, so thankful for new mercies each day.
Gina Myers