Tuesday, July 7, 2009

MK Update 7/7/2009

Hello Army!! I hope this e-mail finds you all enjoying summer! This has been a great summer for my family. We have had tons of fun times already and have many more adventures planned! The entire family is going to Branson next week for 7 days of fun and adventure. But the most exciting news is that Jay and Erin are expecting a baby in late January!! YIPPEE!! It's been over 9 years since we have had a baby in our family and oh January just can't get here fast enough!!! Yes, this summer has been much more exciting than last summer!! I send you this update on a BIG day for me--today marks one year since my last chemo treatment!! HOORAY!!!! Oh what a difference a year makes!!! It is hard for me to believe that one year ago I rang that bell signifying the end of those six treatments. I still remember the day I had my first chemo treatment when I learned about the famous "end of chemo bell ringing". I so remember thinking the day was never going to arrive when I would get to ring that bell. And I still remember that glorious feeling of victory I felt when I rang that bell. I can still see Sharon (my favorite chemo nurse) standing there with tears streaming down her face while I rang that bell. Man that was a feeling I will never forget! I never expected to get that feeling again today--but I woke up this morning and that feeling was overwhelming!!! I just can't put into words that feeling--but man it is wonderful!! Today was also a day of reflection. I spent a lot of time today thinking about the last 18 months. I could have never imagined when I heard those words "you have breast cancer" that so much good would follow. And although there have been some really yucky days, I can say without doubt there were and continue to be far more glorious days!! I have so much to be thankful for and so today I also spent a lot of time in prayer thanking God for my many blessings. I am thankful to my Army of Angels for being with me throughout this journey and for the comfort you provide as I continue on this journey. There are too many of you to name individually, but I am thankful for each of you more than you will ever know!! There are a few people that I do want to give special thanks. I am thankful for my parents (Ronnie & Kay Brogdon) for instilling so many qualities in me that I utilized throughout this battle like strength, courage, persistence, optimism, humor, compassion, patience, and of course FAITH! And for being there with me the last 18 months. I will never know what you must have felt when I called you both in an absolute panic after that ultrasound. Thanks for being my strength during those horrifying first few days and for cheering me on not just the past 18 months but the last 34 years--everything I am and have achieved is because of you! Thanks, Mom and Dad, you are amazing!! I am thankful for my brothers (David & Jay) and the constant support and friendship they provide. No matter what, these two are always there for me!! I still remember calling David in those first few hours--in my panic after that initial diagnosis--and even in all of that panic he just took over and within minutes (not hours) had me scheduled to see the best doctors faster than what my local doctor could get scheduled!! And then calling Jay and trying so hard not to cry and sound afraid when I called him because I am the big sister and I didn't want him to be worried--but I couldn't do that and it was okay--he was there with one of those famous Jay pep talks and prayer and just calm. Thanks, David and Jay, for making me the luckiest sister in the world!! I am thankful for my niece and nephews (Amanda, Zac, and Alex) who literally spent all of 2008 providing me with endless laughter and ensuring that any "yucky day" was always made better just by hanging out with me and providing me with a love like no one else in the world could give me. I am thankful to my sister-in-law (Erin) for being my "everything that I was needing at the time" person and for being "Erin Claus"!! I am thankful because through this we are even closer than we were--which I didn't think was possible but certainly love!! And, I am thankful for my husband (Chris Hardin aka Brucie-pooh). I really don't even know how to describe my thankfulness for Bruce. He has taken every last step of this journey with me--oftentimes carrying me when I didn't think I could make it another step--and has done so without complaint. He has loved me more than I ever knew I could be loved by someone that chooses to love me. He has held my hand when I was scared and wiped my face when I was sick. He has provided a constant calm even during the most uncertain times. He has made me feel like the most beautiful woman on earth even on days when I felt far from beautiful. He is famous at the chemo suite and doctor's offices for being "the sweetest husband on earth" and I am thankful that "I just call him mine"!!!!! Bruce--thank you for every single thing you have done for me and continue to do for and with me. I love you with a love I didn't know was possible!! Finally, I am most thankful to the One who has carried me through this journey like no other--knowing my fears and anxieties, my sadness and pain, my moments of strength and my moments of weakness, my times of faith and my times of little faith--knowing every thought and emotion like no one on earth could ever know and yet still carrying me even when I did not make it easy. What a victory we have in Jesus!!! That is the true victory--a victory we can all experience with or without cancer!! I know this cancer was a "calling" and I listened--even when it was so very hard to hear the message--I listened. And today as I was enjoying my very small victory over this cancer, I realized that when God does call me Home that feeling that I have relished today will seem like nothing compared to that glorious feeling I will get when I look upon the face of God!! Can you imagine--how amazing is that?!?!? Yes, today has been wonderful and I wanted to share with you this great day!! And I am looking forward to many, many more great days!! I will have my 6-month scans at the end of this month and I will let you know those results. I ask that you continue to pray for me specifically that I will continue to listen to that call and have faith in His plan for me. Please know that I love each of you and am oftentimes overwhelmed by the love you have shown for me. Thank you for loving me and joining me on this journey. God bless you all!!!!!! MK

No comments: